Area & activities
Plazac, medieval village of Perigord Noir, is tucked away in a green valley. It focuses on a typical heritage of local architecture, especially with sandstone buildings.
The XIV century church of the village is a listed Historic building.
Near the church, the XIX century market-hall is a sign of the economic life of the village, still in place nowadays thanks to the bakery, post-office, bar, restaurant, organic grocery, all very near to the Gites Crouzel.
Culture, Art and History
In the heart of Prehistory, our valley with many sites to discover, is part of Patrimony of Unesco.
- Caves : Lascaux with its famous facsimile, Grotte aux Cents Mammouths at Rouffignac, Troglodytic sites such as Roque St Christophe or La Madeleine.
- Prehistory : national museum of Prehistory in Les Eyzies, The Abri Pataud (prehistoric shelter)…
- Picturesque villages : Fanlac or Saint Léon sur Vézère which is classified as one of the most beautiful villages of France, or Saint Geniès with its stone roofs.
- Castles : Losse castle overhanging the Vezere river, medieval castle of Castelnaud, Fénelon castle, Beynac castle, the Chateau at Hautefort
- Gardens : the wonderful Marqueyssac gardens, the Eyrignac French Garden, the Imaginaire gardens in Terrasson, Cadiot gardens in Carlux…
- Towns : Sarlat lovely typical place with its nice market, Périgueux with Saint Jacques de Compostelle post steps and its Gallo-Roman Vesunna museum.
- Classical music with the Perigord Noir Music festival
- Theatrical festival in the heart of the old medieval town of Sarlat
- Folklore festival in Montignac with dancers coming from all the world
- Cinema festival with famous actors in attendance
- Every two years, exhibition of cook books in Périgueux
- Truffle : especially in winter.
- Duck : cooked in many different ways such as foie gras, conserve …
- Cep mushroom : most of time at the end of summer or in autumn for the fresh ones.
- Strawberry : from the spring with the Gariguette to the autumn with the Mara des Bois.
You will be able to find all these products at local markets such as in Thenon on Tuesday or in Rouffignac on Sunday.
You can discover the countryside in different ways, for instance :
- Walking : thanks to the numerous paths well indicated
- Canoë : to discover the area from an unusual point of view, either on the Vezere river or on the Dordogne river
- Horse riding : equestrian farm in Rouffignac
- Bike : for trained sportsmen.